Canada.com offers some really great tips on protecting your identity from theft. Don't pay much attention to the contact numbers at the end, though; they're all based in Canada.
Conceptually, however, the information is very good. Here's a short list:
- Watch what you carry in your wallet
- Shred it before you throw it away
- Keep your PIN private
- Ever heard of caller ID spoofing? Generally speaking, anybody can make it look like they're calling from a legitimate company like Chase or Wells Fargo, so don't fall victim to this scheme
- Use a card with a small credit line to limit your liability
- Review your credit reports for accuracy