Be sure to check out the development of my free eBook, "Stock Investing Basics."

Want to learn how to sell anything online? Here's how.

Kids and Money: Best Posts, 7 of 7 Working Kids

Posted by billspaced | 6:01 AM | ,

Kids and MoneyChief Family Officer submitted a post about children and employment rules, which is something we tend to forget about.

When I was a kid, my parents did not push me to get a job. Rather, they encouraged me to do well in school, and they never told me not to work. So, of course, like many of my peers, I got a job.

Since I was good at math, I was a natural for the football concession stand (run by my math teacher). I think I made $3.35 per hour, which was California's minimum wage at the time. It's strange how much money I had then; I felt rich. Now, making a lot more per hour, I feel adequate.

Kids should not feel compelled to go to work when they're young; I think this is why I took to hard work at an early age. There wasn't any pressure. Sometimes that's better than anything else.

Years later, I was on the employing end of the equation, where I was hiring and mentoring 16 and 17 year olds. It became imminently important to follow the rules of the state and school; break one and you could seriously imperil your ability to stay open!

As CFO points out, the federal government has some good resources to help out the aspiring teen worker and employer alike. One of the best sources is Youth Rules.

It is in your best interest to get to know these.

Chief Family Officer: Do your kids want to work this summer?

Like what you've read here? Subscribe to Money Hacks by Email.

View blog reactions

Post a Comment